You’re Raising a Grandchild – Now What? Proper legal documents can protect your rights – and theirs

You’re Raising a Grandchild – Now What? Proper legal documents can protect your rights – and theirs

- in Legal, Winter 2016

Today, more and more grandchildren are being raised by grandparents for a variety of reasons. Death, illness, or drug abuse could all require changes in living circumstances.

But what rights do you, the grandparent, have with regard to raising your grandchild? Schools and medical providers want proof that you have the right to make decisions and speak for the grandchild’s interests. There are a number of ways to obtain such rights.


Ohio law was changed in July 2014 to enact the “Grandparents Caretaker Law” which provides two methods by which non-custodial grandparents can obtain caretaker rights relatively simply.

First, if you are noncustodial but need rights as to schooling or medical care, the parent can sign a caretaker power of attorney to grant the grandparent with whom the grandchild is residing. This document helps the grandparent have the ability to make decisions for care and school matters. Examples are medical, psychological or dental treatment for the child, school enrollment and school educational and behavioral information.

A parent can only grant this authority under certain hardship circumstances like serious illness, homelessness or the death of one parent, and only if it is in the best interest of the child. This power of attorney does not convey legal custody. The form must be witnessed and notarized and filed with the local county juvenile court.

Second, if the parents cannot be found after a good faith effort was made to find them, state law allows the non-custodial grandparent to sign a caretaker authorization affidavit stating that the parent is not available and the grandparent is granted the same rights as listed above. The form must be signed, notarized and filed with the local county juvenile court within five days.

Either of these two documents terminate after one year or if the child stops living with the grandparent, by court order, the death of grandparent or grandchild, or revocation.


What about when the parent of the child is permanently out of the picture and you need actual legal custody, especially if the above two methods are no longer available? This normally involves either legal guardianship or adoption. Either method involves a court process.

For legal guardianship, an application must be made in the local county probate court. For a minor, the guardianship can be limited, and the parents don’t have to give up parental rights.

The guardianship must be in the best interest of the child and the grandparent must be the best person to act as guardian, which generally ends at age 18.

The alternative is adoption of the grandchild. This is also a probate court action to terminate the parents’ parental rights. You become the parent and the birth certificate is reissued. This process is much more involved and includes a petition, proper notices to the parents and a home study.

In order to decide which option is right for you, visit an attorney who is well versed in these matters. Even though the circumstances under which a grandparent takes custody of a grandchild may be unfavorable, the outcome can be great. Both you and your grandchildren can grow, flourish and learn from each other.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may also like

Joint and Survivorship Accounts

Pros, Cons and Everything In Between The Scoop